Re: [RC] LD/Endurance/BC - Joe Long

On Sun, 16 May 2004 09:43:32 -0400, Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I would not asked the question about bylaws if I hadn't already checked.
There is no mention of the AERC providing awards for mileage. There is
mention of the AERC keeping records of events - they do that by the
database. The word "mileage" doesn't appear in the bylaws.

No, the Bylaws don't specify any mileage awards programs.  But they do define an
endurance ride, so if there are going to be endurance mileage programs they come
under that definition.

There is no prohibition in the bylaws to the AERC keepting track and
giving credit for total miles in sanctioned AERC events. The argument
about CTR, etc. is little more than a red herring since these rides are
not AERC sanctioned and outside the purview of the AERC.

The AERC could if it wishes to do so list a "Total AERC Miles" consisting of the
sum of LD and endurance miles.  They cannot without conflict with the Bylaws
include LD miles in with endurance miles in endurance programs.

The comments about people including CTR and Ride & Tie miles in their
distance-riding totals made the point that anyone can add the various
disciplines together for an overall total if they wish.  I was not suggesting
that the AERC should include CTR or Ride & Tie miles in its records.

Good ideal, bad ideal - I don't have an opinion on that. It may be a way
to start bring the pieces of the organization closer together - instead
of this "separate but unequal" status as some perceive we have today.

If you're talking about people thinking LD riders are treated as "second-class
citizesn," only a tiny minority perceive that, and I don't think we should be
driven by the ego problems of a few.  I hope you understand that LD rides are
NOT "equal" to endurance rides ... they are a shorter distance.  As you said,
though, the AERC is a "big tent" and the LD rides, horses and riders are just as
much a part of it as the endurance rides, horses and riders.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx

I drink a 50/50 mix of rootbeer and soymilk at the vetchecks.
~  Libby Llop