Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] LD catagory....? - MtnRondi

In a message dated 5/15/2004 8:14:40 AM Pacific Standard Time, howard9732@xxxxxxx writes:
We have completely taken
away the competition of the LD, even though it does exist at every ride that
has one, by not recognizing the top ten riders.

I have been lurking a while and reading all the fuss over LD and I just don't get it. I really am in no position to give my opinion since I haven't ridden a ride in quite a few years for various personal reasons. My very first ride was on a 4 yr. old horse... it was an LD at Mariposa in 1980. After that I did several years of NATRC with this horse, then rode several 50's before entering and completing a 100 miler, Tevis, in 1984. I rode one other LD in 1987 on a different horse because a couple of my neighbors wanted to try it and they didn't want to go further than 30 miles, so I rode with them. And yes, we did try to see how fast we could go and we did finish in the top ten with horses in great shape. We considered it our "personal bests".

The whole point of this story is that when I entered LD's, I knew exactly what the rules were and didn't whine about the fact that my 5th place in the 30 miler wasn't recognized. We all went home knowing exactly where we placed and were happy and we didn't need our ego stroked by being recognized at any awards ceremony. I don't understand why people can't enjoy themselves and get enough satisfaction from doing well and knowing it was a good training experience for their horse. I don't understand how people can pay the money to enter, say how much they love it, then proceed to complain about the rules and want to change the rules. Maybe that's just me... if I don't like the rules of a game, I just don't play that game. (Personally, if I am riding a horse over 4 years old, I would just jump into a 50... I can ride 25 milers for free at home.)

Bonnie
So. Calif.