[RC] Biltmore Post Review - Roger Rittenhouse

I called Ann Ayala to discuss the ride.
I had a very good review and discussion of issues and situations I
experienced with the ride.

I think Ann agreed with me there were some problems that surely can be
resolved and improved for next year.
One major issue was the crew area layout.
We discussed  the options for next year to provide for separate and
larger crewing areas. We discussed separate crew areas for the FEI
riders from the open. Another option was to separate the 50 milers
from the 100 milers. Both options would alleviate most of the crew
area problems.

The subject of FEI  'over management' of open riders by a few over
zealous FEI officials can be resolved by moving the open riders to a
separate crew area  and  clarifying the authority.

Better layout control of the crew area with access lanes for entry and
exit, to provide safer  entry/exit in  the crew zone to the VC .

The logistics of the in timer to out timer location will be resolved.

I suggested two separate ride venues, that is a separate area for the
open riders with our own crew/pulse and vet area. That requires a
splitting of the vet staff and pulse crews. The concept is possible and
may  be considered.

The option of holding the 100 miler on a different day from the 50 was
discussed.
This may occur, since next year will be the AHA 100/50 Mile National
Ride, along with the FEI ride.  The AHA NC must be a 2 day event to
allow for cross entries of the same rider.

We discussed other less tangible issues that the RM cannot really
manage nor resolve, but 'situations' that added to the perceived
problems I and many other riders experienced.

To conclude, the ride was well managed by Ann and her staff. We had
ample vets (10), all very professional and from my perspective very fair

There were ample pulse takers- fast efficient and accurate.

The  trails were marked perfect  no one got lost, mileage dead
accurate. (yes I used the GPS until it died at 48 miles).

There were no major horse health issues. While there were a high
number of treatments, none were critical and none were shipped to a
clinic. ( as far as I know at this time)
The 50 milers had a 84% completion rate. That was the best ever - I
think.

While I would prefer to not ride a AERC/FEI ride under the same
conditions, I would suggest the improvements under discussion and
evaluation for next may alter my decision to attend.

If you really want to ride the Biltmore, but not deal with the large
field of riders and the hi profile FEI  in MAY,
the FALL ride offers an AERC 50/LD ride in Sept.  I plan on being
there.

Pictures are up at the Imageevent photo site
Roger Rittenhouse  8263 SE
www.vmaxept.com
800 655 8629
pictures  http://community.webshots.com/user/psdendurance
pictures (new) at http://ImageEvent.com/vmaxept

I drink a 50/50 mix of rootbeer and soymilk at the vetchecks.
~  Libby Llop