[RC] FWD: COMMENTS FROM RIDE MANAGEMENT ON THE BILTMORE CHALLENGE - John Teeter

John, would you be so kind as to post the attached letter to
ridecamp/endurancenet?  Thanks. Anne
===========
COMMENTS FROM RIDE MANAGEMENT ON THE BILTMORE CHALLENGE

There will be no doubt, as always, much discussion about the Biltmore
Challenge, if not because of its size, then because it exists in a
ride venue that is truly unique, perhaps somewhat like having an
endurance ride take place at Disney World!  The Estate imposes very
strict rules (helmets, areas NOT to use, care in meeting other Estate
guests, strict clean-up of guest areas, etc), that we must observe in
order to have the ride at all.  It took much convincing on my part
many years ago to even attempt an endurance ride on the Estate, a
privately held historic trust and tourist destination that is known
world-wide, and therefore subject to much publicity in regards to the
happenings there.

Because the Estate enjoys a beautiful, private trail system, we have
tried to welcome as many riders to the May ride as possible, often
having a substantial waiting list for entry right up until ride week.
Our trailer parking situation is not the best, for certain, but dry
conditions this year allowed parking within reasonable distance of the
vetting and crewing area (except for the FEI riders, who were 1/2 mile
down the road, and I thank them for their patience and lack of
complaint!).  We started almost 80 100-mile riders and over one
hundred 50-milers, and ride management had 55 horse/rider/information
changes at registration!  We are dependent on generators for
electricity, and had some unexpected problems with the power in our
"motor home"office that really created unusual delays in getting
information processed.

It is always the hope of ride managers that complaints will come first
to them, so that facts can be established and future improvements made
based on those conversations.  That said, I feel that perhaps some of
the FEI vs. AERC "situations" are not altogether accurate.  Witness:

Crowded crewing area: There was ample crewing area established and so
signed across the road, but few took advantage of a rather large area
there.  It was not necessarily the "FEI" people who set up areas in
the crewing area in advance.  One hundred milers tend to arrive early,
and "snag" good spots; locals as well.  Haven't we all done this at
other rides--gotten there early to get a good crewing spot, or
conversely, gotten in late and had to take whatever was left?  If it
is a problem for riders, let us know and we will try to arrange a
better situation for future years.

Use of "arrival slips": For many years, long before FEI, Biltmore has
chosen to hand out slips of paper upon your arrival.  We found that it
causes less delay in the arrival area ie, riders fumbling for rider
cards), and also keeps the rider cards dry (we DO have rain, often a
lot of it!), until you get to the vet area.  It also gives us a back
up record of the time a rider may be out on a loop (lost?? hurt??).

Stricter vetting issue: Some feel that the vetting is more strict at
the combo FEI/AERC rides.  Perhaps that is so, but after attending
many, many meetings at the AERC Convention of the Horse Welfare
Committee and others, I came away with the idea that the vets are
concerned about our sport in general and the number of deaths that
have occurred at "ordinary" rides as well as at FEI rides. As a sport,
we are increasing in the public eye, and certain protective
organizations are ever on the alert to find fault with our use of the
horse in long distance riding.  I am proud of the fact that we have
never had a horse death at Biltmore, and strive hard to provide
essential vetting and treatment for this ride.  We are an early spring
ride; we attract riders from all over the USA, many of whom are not
yet acclimated to the possible heat and humidity of the south at that
time of year.  I would rather my vet staff err on the side of
strictness, and a rider has a sound and healthy horse to ride again
soon.  I think that this is just good AERC policy.  And I ask, how
many of you do, as Stagg has suggested in this News column, assess
your horse at the end of the hold time--take the pulse, check for
eating habits, recheck hydration--all those things that a vet does in
a required exit exam.  Realize that the vets are trying to help you
and your horse complete the ride safely, and that they feel a great
sense of responsibility in doing this.

Hay/water in the vetting area: In order to use the vetting area at the
spring ride, we must honor the request of Biltmore Estate that horse
food/water not be brought across the bridge into the pulse/vet area.
We do allow horses in treatment and at the farrier to bring a small
hay bag with them, but those are limited areas that I can find the
time to clean up after the ride.  We had two water tanks in the crew
area; one was labeled "no drinking", for those who prefer that their
horses not share common water; buckets could be dipped and set aside
for the horses if you wished.

In closing, on the positive side: We had one of the highest completion
rates in the 50-miler (85%) that we have ever had.  Our completion
rate in the 100 was normal (50% or less) for this spring ride.  We had
no stack-ups in the vetting line.  Trails were in near perfect
condition (at least until the thunder storm hit after dark!)  This IS
endurance, isn't it? We treated fewer horses than usual for metabolic
issues, and suffered no rider injuries! I count that as success, even
though there were no doubt some tired volunteers who may have been a
bit "short" with some of the riders.

As always, I welcome your suggestions and constructive criticism so
that a better ride may be had in future times, and so that we may
learn more about the road to successful co-existence of FEI and AERC
rides.  Neither the rules nor the vetting are that "different" from
other large AERC rides that I have attended. There always seem to be a
few discourteous riders on trail, but many others who make up for it
by offering to help!

My email is: kenayala at charter.net and you are always welcome to
write and discuss your issues.

Sincerely,

Anne Ayala

Ride Manager, Biltmore Challenge

Personally, I shouldn't give a s--- where the other people on the course
are, and if I find myself starting to concern myself over this, I remind
myself that this is the first step on the road to overriding my horse and
tell myself to "knock it off!"  :)
~  Kat Swigart