Re: [RC] Training Horses Not To Pee in Trailer (was trailer question) - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 5/12/2004 11:06:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I can't imagine why anyone would train a horse NOT to pee
any
time he felt like it...

Hmmm...guess you've never had a horse that feels like it's his civic duty to
pee during just about every 10-15 minute trailer ride he takes!  I don't mind
them going if they really have to go, but learning to hold it during short
rides (ie, not let go a flood within 5 minutes of being loaded in a trailer)
would not only be nice, but I'm pretty darn sure it wouldn't hurt them or scar
them for life.  <G>  I wouldn't expect a horse to travel for hours with a full
bladder.  I didn't teach my horse to do that - he just is that way.  And
resisting the urge to pee in the trailer doesn't translate in a reluctance to
pee on the trail...my guy will stop on his own and let other horses keep
trotting away from him if he needs to pee (or drink).

Dawn in East Texas
The two best drugs to have in your kit are Tincture of Time and a Dose of
Common Sense. These two will carry you through 99.999% of the problems
associated with horses and endurance competition.
~ Robert Morris