Re: [RC] selenium - heidi

Heidi, my vet told me that horses have died having selenium given as an
IV.  I was not willing to take a chance.

The anaphylaxis rate is the same, whether the injection is IV or IM.  It
is about 1 in 30,000.  (I unfortunately have all that data, as I lost a
horse at one point to anaphylaxis following an IV administration.)  There
may be a slight difference in the rate of onset of anaphylaxis, but in the
data that we got, the death rate following anaphylaxis was no different if
the route of injection was IV or IM.

Another vet who vets rides,
told me that one shot would not be enough.  She had a horse herself that
was low on selenium.  Because it did not cost her anything to test, she
tested the horse everytime she gave it a selenium shot.  The horse only
went up by 10 points each time. .  She suggested that I would need more
than one shot.

What we found routinely testing several dozen horses in central Oregon was
that many horses will not absorb selenium orally very well until they have
an injection.  We also did a very nice study in calves where we showed
that post injection the levels were normal at 48 hours but were down
almost to preinjection levels by 4 weeks.  The protocol that worked best
for us in horses was to inject and then to immediately begin supplementing
with 8-10 mg orally daily.  This cut down on the number of injections
needed, and in many cases kept it to one injection.

Since my horse's level was 240 a couple
of years ago,  my vet and I thought that was just a tad too high.

Nope--right smack in the normal range.

like my guys to be around 180 - 200 but I am done with the shots.

Borderline deficient...   The normal range suggested now is 200-250 ppb.

Mags
will have to get a higher level with the supplement.  My vet does not
give the shot in the thigh unless I haul to his clinic and he can put
the horse in stocks.

Well, I can't blame him.  And that's one more reason why I like to give it
IV--I can IV most of my horses by myself.  Best of luck getting the levels
up with supplements alone--you may be able to do it, depending on the
level of deficiency, but my luck with that has been erratic, not just in
my own horses but in several client horses that were religiously followed
with testing.

 I can't feed megasel since
my mare won't eat it!!  It is a good supplement too.  But I can give ABC
selenium vitamin E which all our guys eat.  This is a good supplement
too and in fact is the one that got my mare up to 240.  So these are the
reasons why I went the way I did.

If that worked before, by all means go for it!

Heidi

I still prefer what it is that BH100, Tevis, The Duck's Soup of Endurance,
etc. has to offer...but, to see a horse canter over sand for those
distances...Good Lord, it humbles me.
~  Frank Solano