[RC] selenium - larry Miller

Heidi, my vet told me that horses have died having selenium given as an IV.  I was not willing to take a chance.  Another vet who vets rides, told me that one shot would not be enough.  She had a horse herself that was low on selenium.  Because it did not cost her anything to test, she tested the horse everytime she gave it a selenium shot.  The horse only went up by 10 points each time. .  She suggested that I would need more than one shot. My vet agreed.  Since my horse's level was 240 a couple of years ago,  my vet and I thought that was just a tad too high.  I like my guys to be around 180 - 200 but I am done with the shots.  Mags will have to get a higher level with the supplement.  My vet does not give the shot in the thigh unless I haul to his clinic and he can put the horse in stocks.  He doesn't want to get kicked, almost has gotten kicked and by my usually quite easy going guys.  I am not willing for my vet to get kicked since he is a good vet and comes whenever I need him and quickly at that if it is an emergency.  I can't feed megasel since my mare won't eat it!!  It is a good supplement too.  But I can give ABC selenium vitamin E which all our guys eat.  This is a good supplement too and in fact is the one that got my mare up to 240.  So these are the reasons why I went the way I did.  Jeanie