RE: [RC] [RC] Biltmore 50 - rides2far

Though I didn't ride, I did see some of the problems and am not sure they were
completely due to the AERC/FEI conflict though they seemed to be. For one
thing, everyone resented not being able to bring hay into the P&R area. This
even irritated experienced FEI people who probably assumed it was their rule
causing it but I heard from the grapevine that the Biltmore folks didn't want
any strange hay introduced into that field where the check was. You see, they
have the oldest managed forest in the nation...it predates the NFS. The field
had no weeds, so the line to enter the vet check was drawn at the bridge and
they wanted no outside hay to cross that line. Personally, all they'd have had
to say was "beet pulp only" and I'd have had a bucket with me if I'd been
riding AERC.

The finish line was far out in a field away from camp. We all discussed the
need for safety just a few weeks ago so the placement made sense. I was sitting
at the arrival timers when some finishers from the AERC 50 came down the road
and wanted to give their cards to the arrival timers. Unfortunately, a good
sized group of 100's was coming in from the other direction and it was all the
timers could do to get their numbers recorded before they dispersed. One of the
50's who had finished got right in front of the timers (in chairs with
paperwork spread out) and was blocking the view of all the arriving 100's
numbers. The timer was confused as to why the 50's came from the direction they
had come and didn't know why this person who had finished was trying to give
them their card. Our of frustration the timer said something like, "Would you
please MOVE". I could feel for both parties. If I'd been the experienced 50
miler I'd have known that they'd already written my arrival time on my card at
the finish line and I could proceed to the
P&R area...but then again, if I'd just done a hot 50 at a ride where I knew
things were running differently in many ways I might have gone to the wrong
place too. If I'd been the timer and dealing with crew people anxious for me to
get their horse recorded and let it through I'd have been stessed too. It's
called 200 horses at one ride, hot, muddy , everyone's scared they'll be the
one to screw up.

It's a shame that they have to do the timing differently at FEI since that's
the most complicated thing at any ride and Nancy has a system that is far
superior to anything FEI has come up with from what I can see.

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war horse and those
requirements are similar to what we do today with endurance riding.
~  Homer Saferwiffle