Re: [RC] hot weather - Truman Prevatt

When I used to play a lot of tennis - long days in the hot sun - the rule of thumb if you waited till you felt thirsty you were toast. You have to drink early and you have to drink often. Literally the difference between winning a tournament and losing is staying hydrated. Different people prefer different electrolytes, I use EmergeC. But use what works best for you and in-between using them drink, drink and drink more.

In the morning lay off of things like tea and coffee - drink water instead.

Myself I like a "heavy" breakfast of bacon and eggs prior to a ride. It seems to last a lot longer than anything else I've tried. With a good first meal I can live on granola bars until I'm finished. However, I've been known to crave baked beans at 80 miles into a 100 before and almost killed to get my hands on some ;-).

Truman

Elysa Braunstein wrote:
Does anyone have any hints for humans on dealing with the heat?  My horse deals with it waaaay better than I do (plus, I take care of her first!).  I'm drinking water and Hydralyte (like Gatorade, but much less sugar) but I still get goofy.  Thanks for any advice!
Elysa Braunstein

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.