From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 7:42 PM
To: elysavmd@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] hot weather

Does anyone have any hints for humans on dealing with the heat?  My
horse  deals with it waaaay better than I do (plus, I take care of her
first!).   I'm drinking water and Hydralyte (like Gatorade, but much
less sugar) but I  still get goofy.  Thanks for any advice!
Elysa Braunstein

Two things that have made a big difference for me in coping with the
heat
are Cookies Cool Caps (frozen inserts that go into your helmet) and my
Cool Neck Bandana.  I resoak the latter at every vet check, and also put
in a new Cool Cap insert.

Sponge yourself as much as you sponge your horse.  Leave every vet check
with your shirt soaked.

And hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!  I start on the drive to the ride,
drinking
water.  I drink an extra 20 oz bottle the night before the ride.  I
drink
a 20 oz bottle in the morning before I leave.  I carry two 20 oz bottles
with me, and use hard candies to keep from getting a dry mouth.  I don't
put ANY lyte formulations in mine--they make me nauseous.  But I also
EAT--oatmeal for breakfast, and two large glasses of milk at each vet
check, plus either sandwich or cheese or potato salad.  And fruit.  The
first loop I usually don't get through my water, but on subsequent loops
do.  I also try to leave the checks with COLD water in my bottles if at
all possible--this helps regulate heat better than drinking water that
is
already body temperature.

Heidi

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and
Sport Science, University of Dayton

In my experience (22 year worth) most endurance riders are great people who
will go out their way to help and be friendly.
~  Laura Hayes