Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] RideCamp -LDs. - Joe Long

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:36:00 -0400, Truman Prevatt
<tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The marathon/10 k analogy is a poor one. The marathon is a foot race
that is exactly (41.3 km or 26 miles 385 yards). It is the distance from
Marathon, Greese to Athens, Greece and the race got it's name when a
messenger ran from Marathon to Athens to announce a victory over the
Persians in 490 B.C. The 10 k is a foot race of exactly 10 km and the
400 meter is a foot race of exactly 400 meters. Endurance riding has
evolved. It was first a long distance race, Barbara reported a 35 miler
in the early days. Then after the AERC came about it was mostly 100
miles. Then it evolved to 50 miles and up. The term "endurance" covers a
lot of distances.  For the analogy to marathon and 10 k to be valid
there would need to be separate events for each distance, 50, 55, 60,
65, etc. and statistics and records kept in each distance with
championships offered in each distance.

I think that's a nit-pick, but it is a reason that in my recent posts
I've used the analogy of "Ultramarathons" -- which, like endurance
rides, cover a range of distances.  I think the definition of an
"Ultra" is anything longer than a marathon.  And, no matter how many
marathons you run, to be an "Ultra" runner you have to complete an
"Ultra."

Endurance riding is still evolving and I suspect that some day the 25
will be part of the sport - and not segregated into it's own category. I
am sure a lot of old timers never though a whipper-snapper only riding
50 miles ( or as some put it a half a ride ) would ever be considered an
endurance rider.

I do believe the definition of an endurance ride could be better.  A
minimum of 60 miles in one day would be an improvement IMO, or even 75
miles in one day.  But as a practical matter I don't think the AERC
will be raising it anytime soon.   ; ^ )

However, 25 - 35 mile rides are already part of the AERC, and part of
the sport of distance riding.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx

The two best drugs to have in your kit are Tincture of Time and a Dose of
Common Sense. These two will carry you through 99.999% of the problems
associated with horses and endurance competition.
~ Robert Morris