[RC] [RC] Lead changes - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Ray O'Donohue:
> I'd like to hear  pros and cons re dictating
> this for various situations/horses.Always?Never?
> sometimes?

Since Provo's trot is pretty rough, we canter
quite a lot during a ride (when most others are
trotting, which is a bit embarrassing <g>). It
seems to be more comfortable for both of us. He
prefers his right lead, although will occasionally
pick up the left unasked.

I've been trying to pre-empt his choice of leads
by asking for a specific one when I know he's about
to canter, and have had varying degrees of success.
We will be working on this more over the next few
months.

> (I don't even know how to do it.)

The easiest place to practise it is in an arena
since you can have the horse going around in a
circle which balances him in a way that pre-disposes
him to pick up the inside lead. If you don't have
access to an arena, try asking for the canter on
a slight curve in the trail.

Say you're going around the right circle/curve -
you're going to ask him to pick up the inside or
right lead. A (very) basic explanation of "how to"
is:

* shorten that inside rein slightly (to tilt his
head towards the inside) and
* apply *left* leg behind the girth (when horses
start to canter, they strike off on the opposite
back leg - so you're basically asking for that
leg for extra impulsion to push the horse into
the canter on that lead)

As Cindy says,
> Typically horses only ridden on the same lead/
> diagonal eventually go lame on that front leg.

At the end of American River 50, at our final vet
through, the vet said he could see "something"
on the left rear and to keep an eye on it. Since
Provo bowed that tendon a few years back, you bet
I'll be keeping an eye on it.

But it made me think - if he's tending to keep
on the right lead while cantering, that left rear
is doing most of the work, isn't it? So I need to
switch more often to avoid that leg getting tired.
(OTOH, he also has something going on in the right
rear, so maybe he's just protecting that by over-using
his left rear... <sigh>)

> If your horse is bending to the right, you should
> be on the right lead, etc.  It will make a tremendous
> difference in your horses athletic ability, balance...

American River ride has a prime example of this
in the first few miles - you are travelling on
a dirt road that wends to the right and left, up
and down. Being on the correct lead for the
relevant turn was quite important to avoid flailing
around and feeling off balance. The terrain was
such that you would trot a few strides, canter
a few around the turn and uphill, then trot a
few strides and repeat for the opposite turn -
so it would be the perfect place to practise
swapping your canter leads to stay balanced....

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California

============================================================ Personally, I shouldn't give a s--- where the other people on the course are, and if I find myself starting to concern myself over this, I remind myself that this is the first step on the road to overriding my horse and tell myself to "knock it off!" :) ~ Kat Swigart