[RC] New name for LD rides? - Joe Long

You know, I think part of the reason for this recurring "LD is
endurance -- no it isn't" merry-go-round is the word "Limited" in the
name.  I think it conveys to some people "limitation," that is
"something less," that they see as demeaning in some way.

Originally in the SE Region they were called "Novice Rides" but when
the AERC took them under it's umbrella we felt that name wasn't
appropriate.  It conveyed the idea that the rides were ONLY for
beginners, when that is not the case.  We settled on "Limited
Distance" because they are a shorter distance than endurance rides.
We didn't anticipate that some people would see that name as implying
"second-class."

So how about coming up with a new name?  Sure with all the talent on
this list we can come up with something that fits!

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx

The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith