Re: [RC] LD's - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 4/28/2004 9:11:27 PM Central Standard Time, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

And sometimes
they're even married to each other--imagine that!  Some of the proudest
endurance riders I know are those who have gotten their spouses to become
LDers...  :-)

Darn right!  I was so tickled when my husband finally borrowed a friend's horse and tried an LD - we rode it together, and he was hooked.  He bought a horse and now does LDs, and I couldn't be happier.  I'm back in LD myself, trying to get my horse back up to 50-mile shape after me being out with surgieries last year, and the horse trying to corner the market on abcesses this spring.  I have never, during the 5 years I've done distance riding, felt "looked down upon" for riding LD.  By contrast, at my first ride in 1999, I had tons of people coming up to me offering encouragement, introducing themselves, etc.  And when my mare and I completed that ride, those same people were congratulating me right and left.  And these people were both LDers and 50/100 milers...they welcomed me as a new distance rider.  That first ride (Texas Bluebonnet Classic in 1999) hooked me.

Dawn in East Texas