Re: [RC] breeding my endurance mount - heidi

Hello again! I've been thinking of breeding my mare some year in the
future  to get a new endurance prospect started. Do mares recoop from
pregnancy enough  to compete the next season, or in the future? When
will she be too old to  breed (I bet there will be some variance about
this)? she's almost eight now.  Thanks!

I've weaned babies off of mares and gone back to rides the same fall.  And
I've started broodmares in their teens and been very successful--the most
competitive mare I've run being old Sansih, who carried me to a PNER
mileage championship, PNER reserve points championship, and AERC Top 25 at
age 19, after several babies.  (And pregnant again at the time.)  I
started her under saddle at age 13, did one CTR on her that year, bred her
at 14 and did 5 endurance rides on her, had a junior rider ride her at 17
(over 500 miles and high in the junior standings), she foaled at 18,
weaned her baby that fall and did a couple of 80-milers to finish her
1000-mile medallion, and then got serious about campaigning her the next
year...

A really athletic mare can take a year off to raise a baby and come back
just fine.

As to the age where she is too old to breed--a LOT of variation in that
one...  I've had several maiden mares in their teens over the years, but
have also had trouble getting mares in foal prior to age 10.  No way to
predict that.

Heidi

There are few places where the horse does not fit in; at least in my world,
as delusional as that one may be.
~  Howard Bramhill