Re: [RC] breeding my endurance mount - Rae Callaway

I would say it mostly depends on the mare, her attitude and level of conditioning before the pregnancy.  I've sat my main girl, Scarlet, out twice for pregnancies since we started endurance.  Since she's in excellent shape, I continue to compete with her through her 7th - 8th month, and continue to ride her up until she delivers.  She lets me know when to stop or slow down.  She foaled a gorgeous filly this past February and I'm about ready to separate them for short times so that I can get her back on the trail.  If I did summer rides, I could probably have her back in shape to compete as soon as late July or August, but I don't do well in the heat, so she's going to be aiming for the fall rides instead.
  Gotta say, Scarlet is an awesome mare.  I started her 99 colt last year when I got her pregnant (forced me to work with him more <g>) and he is sooo similiar to her in the good ways, but without her neurotic tendencies.  This new filly looks to be another kick-ass endurance prospect too. (I'm keeping her as well)

Rae
Tall C Arabians - Central Region

Elkenchild@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello again! I've been thinking of breeding my mare some year in the future to get a new endurance prospect started. Do mares recoop from pregnancy enough to compete the next season, or in the future? When will she be too old to breed (I bet there will be some variance about this)? she's almost eight now. Thanks!

Laura
"Not all who wander are lost." (jrr tolkien)