[RC] Cheaters—long - Marinera

I really believe that most trail cuts are inadvertent, not deliberate.  Many,
many years ago at a pre-ride briefing, we were told the trail was short by a
few miles so they would have a volunteer stationed about 10 miles out to point
us out on a 2 or 3 miles loop to make up the mileage needed. The loop would
return to the same spot and we would then continue on the main trail.  My horse
was sailing that day and we came into lunch and I had never seen the
volunteer who was supposed to direct us on the extra loop.  Apparently I had
beaten
him to the spot.  I finished 2nd by about 100 feet in a race to the finish.
The
word was already out that I had failed to do the extra loop. I was really
bewildered by it all, not to mention extremely embarrassed.  Ride management
recognized that they had not sent the volunteer out in time for the first rider
(which I was at that point) and allowed me to retain my 2nd place while
actually
the ride had been 2 or 3 miles shorter for me than it had for the 1st place
horse and the riders who came after me.
At that time there were about 6 basic rules in the sport, no one had ever
heard of a Protest and Grievance committee and only one person ever really
hassled me over it. Ride management took the blame, I retained my 2nd place
finish,
which probably was not right in retrospect, but neither was it my fault.  I
had really pretty much forgotten about it until the recent discussions on
ridecamp.  But it does make me reluctant to assume somebody has deliberately
cheated.  I think many cases where you pass somebody and then after a vet
check, pass
them again, is because they went through the vet check faster than you did.
Because you enter a vet check ahead of somebody does not necessarily mean that
you leave it ahead of them.  Another circumstance is when a sign points to
water that is maybe a couple of hundred yards off the trail.  Most people go
for
the water, but some don't and they are passed while off trail watering their
horse.
I really think as a group we are honest and fair sports.  I do not think
cheating and cutting trail is widespread and I am rarely aware of it.  I think
we
are putting a tremendous burden on ride management if we make them feel they
have to station number takers around every bend.  Just be sure before you
assume someone cheated that you know all the circumstances and recognize that
usually a mistake made by an endurance rider is an honest mistake and not a
dishonest one. But if you are convinced otherwise, go to the ride manager and
if
he/she cannot resolve it, your next step is to file a formal protest.  It takes
guts, but I think I would first go to the person involved and ask some pointed
question to be sure there is not a logical explanation for the situation that
concerns you.
Julie Suhr
There are few places where the horse does not fit in; at least in my world,
as delusional as that one may be.
~  Howard Bramhill