[RC] First Ride (now Mom's story) - sherman

Hi all,
You may have already read Tara's story of our first ride....here's my version. Camp was sure tight, but the wonderful volunteer that called herself "parking Nazi" was great in helping me get parked. No room to set up the little tent, and I was also concerned about runaway horses during the night as well as no time to put away in the morning (we were 20 min late as it was). Tara slept like a rock, as usual. The horses were surprisingly calm from the time we arrived until we saddled up in the morning. Then they got excited and it became hectic, trying to get everything put away with only an 11 yr old to assist, but Tara did her best. We crewed for ourselves (hubby was out of town ), so had manure clean-up, etc. My friend came to move our rig to Auburn and we were off.

 I had read many stories about how the horses behavior changes on real rides as opposed to training rides and so I wasn't totally shocked at how uncontollable our partners were. At least they were only trying to go faster than we wanted, not doing anything dangerous or dumb. They finally settled down after Auburn, and since they were both EDPPing, we thought we'd both complete, however, I think the aggressive downhill trotting (that we were trying to control) took a toll on Storm's withers (maybe). After he was pulled at Cool and trailered back to Auburn(thank you, thank you, thank you! to these great volunteers!), a vet there noticed a spot of wavy hair & said it was from pressure, maybe caused pain that kept his heartrate bouncing. A volunteering nurse at Auburn also noticed that his heartrate is high (64/66) when she put the stethescope on him, but if she waited awhile, it would go down. He is pretty goosy about being touched on his sides. Breast collar & crupper are on the way. Maybe need to try a new saddle pad as well, had to give my Coolback to my daughter when her horse started getting sensative back. We think her change in posting style has helped her horse as well. Many thanks to all the volunteers and especially the rider who sponsored my daughter from Cool to Auburn and my friend, Kathie, who became our crew after her horse was pulled due to mystery 30 minute lameness at Rattlesnake Bar.

Tara loves to learn & get advice (she especially likes the "Oreos" for breakfast suggestion!) from all you ridecampers, keep it coming & thank you all so very much. We now have lots more ideas for food, camping, etc., and we'll hopefully see some of you at the Wild West Ride on May 30.

Kathy (can't believe my 11 yr old finished our first ride & I didn't!!!)