From: "Ed & Wendy Hauser" <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Lysane Cree" <lysanec@xxxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 9:56 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Keeping food cold and safe to eat

What you need is a better cooler.  Somewhere I saw a cooler for sale with
much thicker insulation, but I can't remember where.  Usual coolers are
made
for picnics.  There are some ways to extend the life of ice dramatically:

1. Start with blocks of ice not cubes.  You can make them in a home
freezer.
2.Freeze anything that you can and put that in.  Acts as extra ice.
3. Keep the cooler in the shade.  Under a truck or a tarp on poles or
trees.
4. Wrap the cooler in blankets, or old sleeping bags.  The more the
better.
5. Make an over box from 2" Styrofoam house insulation.  Can be very
durable
if covered with plywood.

Between shade, and extra insulation the ice should last for 3-5 days
depending on the outside temperatures.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

Why should I look good if I don`t smell good?
~  author unknown

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm