Re: [RC] [RC] Horizontal Hoof Crack - Kari Hanes

Found Tuff Stuff at Valleyvet.com, it's on the way. Icky explains it perfectly. Thanks to all who responded, I've been moping around all day - sure my ride season was done before it even started. All your advice and experience is appreciated. And I'll see all you mid-westers at Little Manistee!

Our new farrier went to school but it hasn't been very long ago I'm sure. I've had Gene Dake trim her and he does an excellent job, but I never know when he's going to the same rides I am. If anyone knows of a farrier that's good with arabs in the west Michigan area please let me know. I sure wish you guys lived closer Maggie, I'd love to have Nelson as my regular farrier.

Thanks again!
Kari Hanes
Montalee Arabians
Holton, MI

Maggie Mieske wrote:
Go ahead and use the Tuff Stuff anytime.  It's just a sealant.  It'll help keep dirt and stuff out, too but usually these cracks just look icky.  I'm not sure where to tell you to buy Tuff Stuff as Nelson gets it from his supplier.  He goes to Will Lent over in Shelby for his stuff so if you can't find it at Tractor Supply, try there.  Don't panic though.  It really isn't a big deal unless it's several inches across but that would be something the result of a cut or serious injury to the coronet band.
Has your farrier gone to school?  Nelson has started giving courses because the need is so great...even the guys coming out of Greg Gray's school are pretty ignorant about a lot of stuff...they can fire up a forge and pound steel but have no bedside manners!  :)  So to speak.  So he's doing small group stuff for people to learn to trim their own and more advanced sessions for people who want to learn shoeing and beyond.  Thought I'd mention it even for someone who just wanted to learn more from someone who is quite experienced... I'm really not bragging when I tout Nelson...he has a special talent when it comes to horses' feet!  :)  We are starting work on a manual this year that will be our own "textbook" and then as it progresses and becomes perfected, perhaps I'll send out some proposals to publishers.  :)
But Nelson is always happy to give an opinion when he can and try to help.  He's also happy to work with up and coming farriers who want to become better at what they do (though he charges now).  :)  He's gotta make a living until I finish that teaching degree!  :)
Anyway, going to help Jay and Becke clear trail tomorrow for the Little Manistee so better get to bed!!!  :)  See ya soon and don't fret...her foot will be fine!!  :)
Miles of smiles,
Maggie
http://arabianquest.com/samaha_arabians.htm
"So many of our dreams seem impossible, then improbable, then inevitable."  Christopher Reeve