[RC] What if your horse hates to condition?--overconditioning - Susan Young

HA!  Remember when we used to put in at least 100 conditioning miles each week?  Boy have times changed.  I hope we're getting smarter.

Cowgirgoof@xxxxxxx wrote:
You sure can over-condition them, although you don't see it as much as you did back in the 80's when we all thought you had to ride the snot out of em'! When I did my first ride in 1980, it was nothing for me to condition six days a week at 6-8 miles each day I rode (no lie, I have the journals to prove it!).
After a couple years of this I realized I was bringing a burned-out horse to the rides and backed off some.

Susan [Young], The Wicked Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)