[RC] What if your horse hates to condition? - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sally Hafkemeyer hafke7@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Kristi,
My 2 cents.  I decided to post my reply to ridecamp so others could comment on
where I'm wrong or off-base.  I have continuing problems with my own horse and
maybe I can learn something that'll help me, too.

I agree w/Merry that it's a respect issue and that it's more about his not
leaving home (barn or trailer) and/or buddies than it is the actual work.  In
my experience, horses have varying degrees of resistance in this area.  Some
only look longingly back, others slow down and drag their heels, and others
throw hissy fits of minor and major degrees.

Consider yourself lucky that all your boy does is drag his heels.  There are
worse ways he could be expressing his reluctance.  You'll have to decide for
yourself what you're willing to do about the problem.  What are you willing to
tolerate?  To what lengths are you willing to go to correct a problem?

My current horse is a more extreme example of this.  He would actually stop
dead and refuse to move.  The first time I got on him, he just flat refused to
move, even one step.  I went through a progression of cues to get him to move.
Starting w/legs and ending with one good solid smack on his rump with a riding
crop.  He actually turned his head and looked back at me before making the
decision to move. Each subsequent ride I had to use less force to help him
decide.

In a nutshell, I had to figure out what incentive it took to get him to do
things my way...and risk what his reaction to that incentive would be. (I made
the decision to keep him and work w/him when after whacking him hard w/the
crop, he didn't buck, but calmly walked off.)

My horse doesn't mind moving, he just wants to determine when, where, and what
speed. This shows up even in the arena where he expresses this by constantly
sidling closer to the end where the horses are stabled/pastured.  He gets to
where he wants to be, and then tries to stay there.  Resists being asked to go
back away from proximity of other horses.  We still have some issues when
leaving the barn or out by ourselves.

Riding lessons last year really helped.  The trainer encouraged not continually
"nagging" him with my legs to keep him going.  Said that a horse should be
trained to "hold" whatever gait/speed you requested without constant nudging.
When Aliyy tried to take over, I was to give very clear cues and in such a way
that Aliyy would find it easier to comply and learn to keep moving on his own
until told to do otherwise. I know arena riding doesn't always transfer over to
endurance/trail experiences, but I believe I should at least strive for same
control and responsiveness.

This isn't always easy.  I uncovered lots of my own fear issues while riding
this particular horse.  He still tests my resolve. I completed 9 rides this
year with Aliyy.  During one ride loop, he actually slid to a stop from a nice
canter, and did a 180 spin.  When I could let go, I whacked him really hard and
more than once with my riding crop.  That's the last time he pulled the "I
don't want to go so I'll stop-dead" move on me.  But I ride this horse hanging
on to something, and while not proud of that, I'm still on, and he's still
going.  Takes more than a little fun out of riding, too.

So from my perspective, a little toe dragging sounds so easy...:^)  I hesitate
to give advice on what to do w/your boy.  I'm SO not an expert...
Best to you, Kristi, and hope we can ride together sometime soon.  Wonder how
far/fast we'd get together?!
Sally

to have in your kit are Tincture of Time and a Dose of
Common Sense. These two will carry you through 99.999% of the problems
associated with horses and endurance competition.
~ Robert Morris