[RC] What if your horse hates to condition? - heidi sowards

I've always been told to make the barn work and the
training rides fun! Take some food for your horse, stop for
a break, let him graze 10-15 min. etc. Come back to the
barn, practice tying and standing quietly while tacked, or
pass the barn, go down the road to the nearest ditch and
practice walking in and out of water. (I had a "jump every
trickle of water, so this was work for him.) Find a job
that is hard work is what I mean! Also, don't feed
immediately after coming back to the barn. My smart cocky
gelding who would stand stubbornly and then when corrected
with a crop would halfheartedly stroll all over the gravel
roads, then fly like the wind to get home. (Or try anyway!)
After about a month of "barn work" he wasn't so eager to
come home! Helped going out too! He's in desperate need of
a tune-up as I don't ride this guy much anymore and I tend
to spoil him by not making the time to do the "barn work"
anymore. My new guy is just lazy no matter which direction
you take him, he's not barn sour in the least, he just
would rather walk than run! A buddy helps him a ton, or go
to a trail area where there are other horses, ones he just
runs into occasionally, keeps him guessing where the next
potential buddy is!

=====
Heidi-aerc#M20935  /\_/\~    http://www.synjinarts.com
                ~~/~~  \\~~~~   (Wildlife/Western & Equine