RE: [RC] Surgar in Beet Pulp/ Laminitis Scare - Kathy Ramspott

I am usually a lurker but I have to speak up here.  I am thrilled with Susans e-mail.  Two of my horses had started acting like they were on a ‘sugar high’ this week.  I had stopped giving them their alfalfa treats a few weeks back because I thought that was it, hadn’t changed their grain so I had chalked it up to the change in weather. It has been very warm these last couple days though and still running and bucking and carrying on like crazy.  They are young and playful but this seemed a bit much.  Sure enough I had started giving them some dry beet pulp mixed with their grain to put a little weight on them cause they are going through a growing spurt and looked not as filled out as I like.  I am really wondering now if it is the beet pulp and will now soak and rinse like Susan recommends and see if it calms them a little so they get back to the way the had been for the last year.   Yes, I know, I am supposed to be soaking anyway.

Kathy

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of MARYYG@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 11:18 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Surgar in Beet Pulp/ Laminitis Scare

>>However, I was recently forwarded a copy of an analysis of some beet pulp (admittedly, only one sample) in which simple sugars ran incredibly high, over 30%---which for a seriously insulin resistant and/or Cushinoid horse with laminitis issues, could potentially be catastrophic<<

Doc, i really did enjoy your interests in the well being of our equids, but you just stepped over the line. That line consist of true fact and realistic information to the public. One sample  in a true scientific study doesn't have a conclusion or points of discussion.   Until the beetpulp study is complete   theorecticals need to be kept under wraps and  tabled when conclusive fact is found instead of therum. You sound like every other  equine prognosticator,  scare the hell out of them first then explain it's just very few horses that are affected..

  Jaye