[RC] Mystery lameness - any ideas? Help! - Jennifer Thompson

Hi all, I'm hoping for some insight or encouragment! I'm sorry this is so long, but I'm trying to give all the info...

I've got an Arabian gelding, 10 years old, 15.1 hh, has great bone and big size 1 feet that are
nice and round with good, wide heels.

He came up grade 2-3 lame in his right front 3 weeks ago.

Here's some history (which may or may not be related) and the recent
happenings:

Seven months ago (Sept '03): Finished a 25-mile competitive ride, and was lunging
him for the vet judge at check-out. Vet judge commented that she
"thought" she saw a very slight lameness in his right front. She said
she couldn't be sure, but she docked me 5 points anyway and advised me
to lunge on a longer lead line in the future, as smaller circles can
sometimes make a sound, but tired, horse appear lame. ??

Three weeks after that: I had my regular vet out to double-check the
right front "lameness" because by then I was paranoid and kept thinking
I was seeing something, although nobody else I asked could see anything
at all. My vet came out, did a full work up (flexion tests, hoof
testers, trot-outs both straight and in circles) and pronounced my horse
sound and told me to stop worrying about what the ride vet had said.

For the past six months, that "seed" of doubt has remained in my
mind, and I have
continued to think I've seen an on-again, off-again shortness in stride
while he is trotting at liberty in the turn-out. Again, nobody else has
agreed with me, so I've continued to train and condition, riding pretty
hard. He has never come up visibly lame or anything like that. I have completed one endurance ride during this time, and the vet
judge checked him in, and out and the end, as sound and "fit to continue."

3 1/2 months ago, I was injured and could not ride for 8 weeks, so I pulled his shoes and turned him out. It rained heavily during this time, then dry hot weather followed (Southern California).

When the eight weeks was up, I had him reshod, and started bring him back into condition - got about four good weeks of riding in. Then...

Three weekends ago, I rode him both days pretty hard, through 15 miles
of technical trail each day, with lots of rocks. I mean LOTS of rocks.

The next day, Monday evening, I noticed in the turn-out (good soft
sandy footing) that he was a little lame when trotting in a circle
towards the right. No head-bob, but definitely a choppy, shortened
stride on the right front.

By Wednesday evening, lameness was worse. Even had a head-bob to go
along with the shortened stride.

Thursday morning - somebody at the barn had a vet out, so I asked
her to look at him. She pronounced him lame, with a mild digital
pulse on right front. No sensitivity to palpation anywhere in the leg
or foot, and not sensitive to hoof testers. Told me to follow up with
my own vet to get diagnostics done.

Thursday night - My vet came out, pronounced Shahtahr grade 2.5 or 3
lame in right front. He felt no digital pulse however. Noticed no
reaction to palpation anywhere, nor any reaction to hoof-testers. Nerve
blocked the foot with a digital palmar block, and he came 80% sound. Did a sesamoid abaxial block after that, and he came 100% sound. Vet
feels problem is definitely somewhere in the foot - hopefully just a
bruise. Other possibilities were ringbone, navicular syndrome or
fracture, arthritis, coffin-bone lesions or fracture, to name a few.

I reminded him of the ride vet's observation six months prior, since it
was the same foot, and he said that since he had examined him after that and
my horse was sound, he was going to dismiss that as a coincidence and
treat this as a different situation altogether. Especially since we
were now dealing with a very noticeable lameness that came on rather
quickly.

He took x-rays of pastern and foot, results of which were in the next day and the vet's words were
"very good. He's got a really good-looking foot."

He said that if he had to be very picky, he'd point out a very
slight roughening of the anterior surface of the pastern, between two of the bones (I can't remember which ones) but nothing that would cause any lameness at this point. He also
saw two very small synovial invaginations in the distal border of the navicular bone. Before I started
gasping in panic at the word navicular, he said it was nowhere near
enough to be considered problematic, that he was not showing typical
conformation or signs of a horse with navicular syndrome, and that he
wouldn't even worry about it. He has seen these on x-ray before on many
sound horses and again said he did not think it had to do
with the level of lameness we were seeing. (I'm still worried though)

He said that we were most likely dealing with a stone bruise, an abcess,
or perhaps a bruised deep digital flexor tendon. Advised two weeks rest,
and then re-evaluate. Oh, and he suggested I stop having him shod with
Natural Balance shoes and go back to regular shoes, that the NB shoes
don't agree with all horses and can add a lot of toe pressure.

Had farrier out last Monday, 1.5 weeks post-vet visit. Shahtahr is still
lame on the lunge line when circling to the right. Farrier used
hoof-testers and could not get any pain response anywhere.

He then put a hammer on the ground, putting the wooden handled end under
the frog area of his right front foot, and asked him to pick up his left
front, making the frog-area of the right front bear all of his weight on
top of the hammer handle. No pain response. Farrier said that in a
navicular horse, that would have brought on a pain response for sure, so doesn't think that's the problem.

He then tapped on the outside of the hoof wall with a hammer, all the
way around, and Shahtahr just stood there looking bored.

He pared away the sole as much as he could, trying to find any
indication of bruising, abcessing, anything. He did say that his sole
is so incredibly dry and hard right now, that if he did have a deep
bruise, it might not show with the hoof testers because the sole is
so hard.

The only thing he did find was a slight bulge and hardening along the
coronary band on the inside front of the affected foot that is not painful at all when poked or prodded. He said coronary cartilege
hardening and bulging like that can be from the foot not being balanced
and landing too hard on the inside. Shahtahr does tend to wing that
whole leg to the outside when he moves, and even stands with the whole
leg sort of pointed outward, which would put more pressure to the
inside. So the farrier took the hoof wall down more on the inside
today, and we left him barefoot. We trotted him out again after the
"corrective" trim and he's still lame...not that it was supposed to be
an instant cure.

He said that he just couldn't find anything wrong with his foot at all,
other than that little bulge along the coronary band - the bulge is very
tiny and I'm surprised he found it - we're not even sure if it means
anything.

So now it's a week since the farrier visit, and 2 1/2 weeks since the vet visit, 3 weeks since I noticed the lameness...horse is still off when circling to the right.

I've soaked with Epsom salts..nothing has happened if it is an abcess.

Any ideas?

I'm giving it another week or two and then my insurance company will be getting the dreaded claim for a bone scan or MRI. :(

Thank you all,
Jennifer

Prudence and focus will carry you a long way on a horse. ~ Frank Solano