Re: [RC] Mystery lameness - any ideas? Help! - Karla Watson

Have you tried an equine chiropractor? I would try that next. Its not very expensive and solved my mystery lameness I had with my last horse. His shoulder would go out and then get better, then pop up at different times. He had 3 vertebrae down his spine that went out of alignment that would shoot pain down to his shoulder area. It would look like it was in his leg when he limped but it was really his shoulder. I spent a major fortune in vet bills before the chiro saw him. Once he was adjusted, his pain went away. He was a major stall weaver for years before I got him (I didn't know about it when I bought him), it had really messed him up chiropractically speaking. I finally got the chiro to get him right but it would go back out at most of my endurance rides last year. Even if I was doing a very slow LD, he would limp slightly at the vet check and I was pulled--even though he didn't limp while I was riding him before the vet check. Endurance rides were just enough to get him "out" even though he was fine about 1-2 hours afterwards--no limping. For awhile I thought he was "pretending" to limp at vet checks so he could get out of work.....but that was not the case. I tried different riders but he still had the same problem. On training rides he would be fine and the sports saddle helped him tremendously. I finally figured he was not cut out for this sport so he has a home for life with a nice older lady in California that wanted a great trail horse.

A chiro might be another option for you if you don't find the problem in his leg. Its worth a shot right? Good luck with your horse. I know how hard this can be.

Karla Watson