Re: [RC] sugar in beet pulp and laminitis issues - wendy

However, I was recently forwarded a copy of an analysis of some beet pulp
(admittedly, only one sample) in which simple sugars ran incredibly high,
over
30%---which for a seriously insulin resistant and/or Cushinoid horse with
laminitis issues, could potentially be catastrophic<<

You sound like every other  equine prognosticator,
scare the hell out of them first then explain it's just very few horses that
are affected..

I'm not going to respond to the tone of this post because I'm sure that the
HUNDREDS of people who have valued Dr. Garlinghouse's contributions to this
list have already stated their opinions quite bluntly.  In ANY scientific
study, if the substance under review is found to be potentially lethal,
there is an obligation to report this finding even prior to the conclusion
of the study.   Susan stated clearly that it was only one sample, stated
which subgroup of horses may be affected, queried as to why the beet pulp
analysis may show variable results and made helpful and, as always,
practical suggestions as to how to deal with the problem without discarding
the idea of giving beet pulp.  I am showing great restraint in not
commenting further.
Susan....I usually lurk on this list, but even when I'm in a hurry to get
through the posts, I always read yours.  Thank you for taking the time over
and over again to help our equine partners.
Wendy McCullough, MD

In my experience (22 year worth) most endurance riders are great people who
will go out their way to help and be friendly.
~  Laura Hayes