[RC] Beet Pulp/lamnitic Scare - MARYYG

>>You're right, one rat research does not a statistical trend make.  However, I felt it the more responsible thing to do on behalf of laminitic, insulin resistant and Cushinoid horses and the owners who manage them, to state even the remote possibility of a problem (and how to solve it right here and now)<<

Doc, you are not solving the problem "here and now," your have just started a concern with a therorectical. A concern with "one sample" with no data except with the one tested conclusion in which a "respected"  statement creates fervor. As a new and  respected vet and or so called scientist the responsibility of fact lies with you. Again, within the total population of "equids" within this country the percentage of Cushinoids/IR horses is minute. Within the endurance discipline, as a whole, the percentage drop is considerable.

 >>---rather than wait a year to establish statistical data.<<

One year is not enough as you know, per "customary and usual" academic or empirical study. But "one sample" to conclude your concern to owners is not practical. I could pronounce a theoretical, in analogy, like shoeing horses "with a 3/8" rim pad on the front feet to help a stifle problem." A "one rat study."
   The essence of the debate is creditability of fact without statistical or peer review.

>>Jaye, is the very heart of "interest in the well being of our equids."  Sorry that it offends your tender sensibilities<<

   It doesn't "offend" me in the least, Doc. Having worked on hundreds of laminitic horses with and without Cushnoid/IR  symptoms and signs. Using "Common Sense"  and "substantiated realiabilities" to formulate a "sensibility" for the "interests in the well being of our equids"can only require us, as equine professionals, to deliver  substantiated   fact(s) not a theoretical.  Will be looking forward to your conclusions at the end of study with the effects and affects concerning Cushnoid/IR horses and beetpulp.
 Jaye