[RC] Traumatic Brain Injury & I wasn't even riding - Nancy Reed

Alice,

I am so glad to hear you are home and on the mend.  I too had an incident like you described, but with a 22 year old horse.  Shai (Shy) foundered at another ranch and came to the Lazy J to rehab.  After several long months of only short turn outs and watching everyone else go out on the trail he had had it.  His stall was located just below the wash rack and often water would run into his shavings.  One only needed to build a mud dike and divert the water and the stall would stay dry. (Playing in the mud is just one of the reasons I love my horses!) It was the first Saturday in December and a club I ride with was scheduled to ride in the annual Encinitas Holiday Parade.  My daughter and I had taken our two horses out to “blow some steam off” prior to the parade.  Both horses were in the wash racks and the water was in Shai’s stall.  So, I went into the stall to divert the water (OK, play in the mud).  I was in the gate with my back to Shai, bent over making the mud dike and all of a sudden I was face first on the ground with my glasses broken and my upper lip ripped open on a rock.  I ended up with much less serious injuries than you and learned never to point a loaded butt at a stall bound horse.  Anyway, I hope you are back to your normal self soon.

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, California

PS I often wear a helmet while on the ground now.  I feel safer.