Re: [RC] Traumatic Brain Injury & I wasn't even riding - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 4/19/2004 11:54:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jonnij@xxxxxxxx
writes:

Some of the worst accidents with horses I have heard of, have been working
with them on the ground. Usually either in the pasture in a "herd", and one
horse tries to go after another, and the human is in the way, or when
working with young or green horses. With the herd issue,
mine are to NEVER
go after another if I am nearby.

That's good policy.  Our 6 know to follow those rules too...if they slip up, we
will ensure that they regret their lapse.  The one exception is our little
13.3h Paso mare, who hates my 3 1/2 yr old Arab gelding with a passion...she
just can't seem to resist going after him when we're in their midst.  It cost
me a broken elbow a couple of months ago...we were in their midst catching our
distance horses to go riding, she swung her butt to try and kick the gelding,
and her hindquarters hit me and knocked me flying...I landed on my right side
with my hipbone on my right elbow - broke the end off my radius.  She *will*
learn the rules...we'll see to it.

Dawn
One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle