[RC] Traumatic Brain Injury & I wasn't even riding - Jonni Jewell

Some of the worst accidents with horses I have heard of, have been working
with them on the ground. Usually either in the pasture in a "herd", and one
horse tries to go after another, and the human is in the way, or when
working with young or green horses. With the herd issue, mine are to NEVER
go after another if I am nearby. (what they do out in the field when I am
not close, is up to them) But if they kick or bite at one an other with me
nearby, they WILL find out that was not appropriate. And, handling the
youngsters.....boy, most of us have done it, and know that they are so much
more unpredictable than well broke horses. I will admit, I wore my helmet
for awhile, when I was working one of mine on the ground that was extremely
flighty, and unsure of the world around him. He was 4, barely halter broke,
and had a HUGE flight mode, that I was afraid would end up being over the
top of me one day, before I could get him trained otherwise.

So glad you are able to type at your computer Alice, and that you are on the
mend. Things can happen so fast with these animals we chose to have in our
lives.

Jonni

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm