[RC] bit suggestions for Morgan - Karen Casemier

I currently ride my Morgan mare in a french-link eggbutt snaffle - probably one of the mildest bits around. It is wonderful for flatwork/dressage, but I have finally come to the conclusion that I may need to try something else for the trail - at least for the start of the ride (I have not yet done any competitive riding with her, but plan to start this year).

Here's the deal. I've currently only ridden her about 10-12 miles at a time - the entire time, I have a hard time rating her. I do not want to discourage her forward-thinking attitude, and in fact, if she gets a little quick at the canter, it doesn't really bother me (she has a lovely balanced canter even at a high speed). But her trot - well, let's just say I feel like I am riding a sewing machine! She has some of the typical shoulder action of many Morgans, and the problem is that when she gets quick, she's just wasting energy - she doesn't lengthen, she just goes up more in front. And we both waste energy fighting with each other.

I've always thought that the solution to this type of thing was training - but I do not have this problem at home, in the arena. I am taking lessons with a wonderful dressage trainer, and am getting marvelous soft trot work from her in the my lessons and when I school at home. I just cannot recreate this trot on the trail - she has a completely different attitude out there. We've tried to "get her going" in my lessons by schooling in a huge jumping field, with no luck. She knows the difference!

Another thing - I don't really consider her that fit yet. I haven't done that much conditioning work with her (although she has as much energy at the end of my rides as she does at the beginning). I'm assuming this is just going to escalate the fitter she gets - right now, I can start to rate her at the end of a 10-12 mile ride - but only at the end. And I have to use A LOT of hand, which I don't like. This mare is normally very sensitive to seat aids, and in the arena, I can rate her just by changing my posting. That doesn't work on the trail.

I suppose there are several options:
1) Bit up a bit for at least the start of a ride.
2) Just let her go and wear herself out.
3) Sign her up for a 100 (just kidding).

Do you have any suggestions? I'm not afraid of getting run away with or anything like that, and I certainly appreciate her energy and enthusiasm for the trail. I've always ridden English, and except for pelhams and other combination bits that require the use of double reins (which I'd like to avoid), I'm not that familiar with curb bits. I don't want her to back off of the bit, I just want her to listen to me so I can help her conserve her energy so she has something left at the end of a longer ride. Once she seems relaxed, I can always switch back to the mild french link.

In case you can't tell, I'm really hesitant to resort to a stronger bit - but I know that as (supposedly) the smarter member of this team (Mazzie would disagree), it's up to me to take care of her so she doesn't use herself up. And at this point, I think it is kinder to both of us to find something that she respects and listens to with a lighter touch than I have to use right now.

(I did check the archives - but there is SO MUCH information that I couldn't sort through it all. If you know of a particular thread that I could search for, please let me know).

Let me know what you think.

Karen and Mazzie

Check out MSN PC Safety & Security to help ensure your PC is protected and safe. http://specials.msn.com/msn/security.asp

The two best drugs to have in your kit are Tincture of Time and a Dose of
Common Sense. These two will carry you through 99.999% of the problems
associated with horses and endurance competition.
~ Robert Morris