From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Alice Yovich
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 10:20 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] another saddle fit question

many of you aided me in searching for a new saddle. For a quick recap: I've been through about 5 saddles in the last two years. I started out with a 32 cm general purpose Courbette Eventing saddle. First CTR, very sore loins. Chucked that saddle and got a bob marshall that was way too small for me and gave Deli, you guessed it, sore loins. And, it wouldn't stay in place when I mounted. So, I sold it and started using my western saddle with a cheap pad (the first one I ever bought) Saddle stayed in place, no sore loins, no white hairs, but obvious dry spots even when shimmed.  So, I bought a new dressage saddle, a wintec 500 dressage with CAIR. I LOVE it. She's a very narrow horse, so I have the green, med. narrow, gullet in it.  She moves great in it, she feels great, I love it. Friday, i see white hairs popping up.  I've been using this saddle only since the end of Feb/beginning of March (not more than 6 weeks or 50 miles total)  My vet said yesterday that any white hairs would have been caused from the saddle I used in the fall, not a saddle I just started using. Other people have said, no, white hairs can appear immediately.  From the pattern of the white hairs it looks more to me like this saddle than the old, western saddle, but I don't know for sure. I KNOW that the old saddle didn't really fit b/c I had to shim it for bridging. This saddle appears to fit when I put it on her back by itself, but then it is tight when I'm riding her.  She is shaped funny...very narrow, somewhat prominent withers that widen out. She has "pockets" on either side of her withers. So, one suggestions is to pad the "pockets" and go with a wider gullet. I don't know what to pad with. I wonder if anyone else has these problems and how they fix it.

I've tried so many different saddles. I don't know what to do anymore.
Alice Yovich,
NATRC Reg. 4, Texas
www.equi-threads.com