Re: [RC] [RC] Wolves,bears,snakes,public lands/yippee - Truman Prevatt

You may not have to wait long for the answer to this. It seems that the French have identified the US Gov't providing inexpensive leasing of grazing land in the west as a subsidy to US agriculture and as such is in violation of the current trade treaties. This is one of many things on a list they are threating to take to the WTO if not changed.

I expect any change it the current policy of leasing public land for grazing would have significant impact on the western agricultural economy.

Truman

  extent on MY subsidising it?How much of the west IS cattle country,absent federal/public subsidy of some sort?There are cattle all over Virginia,generally a profitable part time operation on small parcels of land.Absent grazing subsidies,can western cattle raising profitably stand in competition with areas of abundant rainfall? No? The guys in Virginia who raise cattle are not subsidised to my knowledge,and they damn sure are not getting any sort of cultural cowboy fantasy kick out of it.So...let's be moderate,and avoid extremes here.

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.