Re: [RC] Snakes - Truman Prevatt

Truman Prevatt wrote:
The spiders and scorpions in Australia are much more dangerous than our snakes. Darwin, Australia has one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. We finished up what we were doing for the day and hit a local pub. We had been there for two days and the beach was vacant. I noticed a sign that warned about going on the beach in the month of ( I think it was ) Jan. I asked why in the pub. Seems there is a sand scorpion that comes to the beach to breed that time of the year. They borrow under the sand so you can't see them. If you step on one (which would be highly likely) you will be dead.

It, however, is an amazingly beautiful country. Some people that go there never want to return.

In Gaum one time I went scuba diving with a guide. He grabbed my arm as I was going around a rock. This huge sea snake came up from behind the rock looked at us and swam off. He told me later that that sea snake would have done me in.

Then there was the time in India. We were late getting out of the site were we were installing equipment. It was at a military airstrip. The host sent out some locals to clear off the tramac before we walked to our cars. I asked why. He said - "see that (what looked like) a raised area in the pavement." I said yes. He said that is a cobra. They were all over the place.

The there was the "two stepper" in Vietnam. The Viet Cong used to booby trap areas with them. They lived in trees and they would catch them and hang them about head level on jungle trails where our guys were going.

Thank you very much I'll take our rattle snakes.

Truman

Barbara McCrary wrote:
One of our daughters traveled to Australia many years ago and when she returned she told us that absolutely every snake there is poisonous.  I asked her how parents teach their children to avoid snakes and she said they tell the children, "Bitey, bitey!"  I suppose it's like telling small children that something is "Hot!!!"  I don't think I'd like to live where I was always on the watch for a poisonous snake, but I suppose you get used to it.  I've had all the introduction to the damage a rattlesnake can do to a horse's leg, thank you.  We have a gelding that lost three good years of endurance riding before he healed the wound and came sound.  His hoof is distorted and he has a huge ugly bump on his pastern.  And he was standing in a paddock about 150 feet from our daughter's house when he was bitten.  The snake was never found anywhere nearby.

Barbara\

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.