RE: [RC] Snakes - David LeBlanc

Even better - here west of the Cascades, we have no poisonous snakes. Not
sure why.

Back in Florida where I grew up, we had 7 different species of poisonous
snakes, and one of the first things you taught kids was 1) stay away from
all snakes (coral snakes look a lot like another snake - just a difference
in pattern), and 2) what all the poisonous snakes looked like.

Had several adventures with snakes, but rarely killed any of them. We did
kill rattlers found near houses, but left the ones in the woods alone.
Unless it is near where you or your animals live, you're not likely to kill
enough of them to even put a dent in the population, so you're not
accomplishing anything. IMHO. If it is a big one, you're also fairly likely
to get hurt unless you use a gun. Not worth putting myself at risk.

BTW, saw an Army demonstration where they had some, killed them and cooked
them on the spot. Rattlers are tasty - at least fresh.

BTW2, when we were in Australia, we were driving past the Crododile Hunter's
place and our host remarked "He's a fair dinky di idiot!" (fair dinky di is
Australian for a whole lot). Still gives me a chuckle. He and the other guy
are probably going to end up eaten by something...

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said:

I don't know what snakes you have out there,

We're lucky in the NW--there are only two "kinds" of
snakes--rattlesnakes and "good" snakes.  <g>  If it has a
little pointy tail and doesn't rattle, then it is a "good"
snake.  If it buzzes at you, it ISN'T a "good"
snake.  Makes it a lot more simple than the ones you've got
in your area...

Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough
~  Theodore Roosevelt