From: "Ridecamp Guest" <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 7:48 AM
Subject: [RC] Wolves,bears,snakes,public lands/yippee

Please Reply to: Ray O'Donohue rno2m@xxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  My opinion is that there are too many people and cows in the world and
not enough animals that eat people.Having said that,one of course defends
his livestock when neccesary.Just some perspective here:re wolves/grizzlies
preying on elk herds on public land: do those public land elk exist only for
the  hunter or the hunting guide who makes a living hunting them? Of course
not. MY interest in OUR federally owned lands is not the same as that of the
hunting outfitter,who IS being subsidised by the public. He is also a
taxpayer,in turn  subsidising my interest in having grizzlies and wolves
around. Re livestock predation:again,some balance here is called for.How
much of western livestock ranching depends to some extent on MY subsidising
it?How much of the west IS cattle country,absent federal/public subsidy of
some sort?There are cattle all over Virginia,generally a profitable part
time operation on small parcels of land.Absent grazing subsidies,can western
cattle raising profitably stand in competition with areas of abundant
rainfall? No? The guys in Virginia who raise cattle are not subsidised to my
knowledge,and they damn sure are not getting any sort of cultural cowboy
fantasy kick out of it.So...let's be moderate,and avoid extremes here.

Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough
~  Theodore Roosevelt