[RC] ponying--do they learn anything? - Sundaez

Hi all...been ponying my new mare out on the trail. SHe's pretty good...doesn't spook, stays at my knee unless single track then follows. Even have gone out with a few other horses that "acted up" and she remained calm. She's a lookie loo but no spooks or balks. This is the mare that is totally green on the trail but has arena experience.

I'm thinking of riding her out today with a calm babysitter gelding she knows. Will the ponying experience "transfer" to me riding? I don't want to push her too fast...but I have been working with her a month and think it is time.

I'm wondering what ponying teaches them. I'm hoping it doesn't teach them to just blindly follow another horse.

TIA,

Melanie