Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 7:57 AM
Subject: [RC] ponying--do they learn anything?

Hi all...been ponying my new mare out on the trail. SHe's pretty good...doesn't spook, stays at my knee unless single track then follows. Even have gone out with a few other horses that "acted up" and she remained calm. She's a lookie loo but no spooks or balks. This is the mare that is totally green on the trail but has arena experience.

I'm thinking of riding her out today with a calm babysitter gelding she knows. Will the ponying experience "transfer" to me riding? I don't want to push her too fast...but I have been working with her a month and think it is time.

I'm wondering what ponying teaches them. I'm hoping it doesn't teach them to just blindly follow another horse.

TIA,

Melanie