[RC] Wolves,bears,snakes,public lands/yippee - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Ray O'Donohue rno2m@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 My opinion is that there are too many people and cows in the world and not
enough animals that eat people.Having said that,one of course defends his
livestock when neccesary.Just some perspective here:re wolves/grizzlies preying
on elk herds on public land: do those public land elk exist only for the
hunter or the hunting guide who makes a living hunting them? Of course not. MY
interest in OUR federally owned lands is not the same as that of the hunting
outfitter,who IS being subsidised by the public. He is also a taxpayer,in turn
subsidising my interest in having grizzlies and wolves around. Re livestock
predation:again,some balance here is called for.How much of western livestock
ranching depends to some extent on MY subsidising it?How much of the west IS
cattle country,absent federal/public subsidy of some sort?There are cattle all
over Virginia,generally a profitable part time operation on small parcels of
land.Absent grazing subsidies,can western cattle raising profitably stand in
competition with areas of abundant rainfall? No? The guys in Virginia who raise
cattle are not subsidised to my knowledge,and they damn sure are not getting
any sort of cultural cowboy fantasy kick out of it.So...let's be moderate,and
avoid extremes here.

a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an
endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our
sport has to offer, you need to do both of those.
~ Joe Long