Re: [RC] Wolfes attack for fun??? - heidi

I know the many wildlife specials and documentaries about
wolves that I have seen on television don't compare with the real life
experiences you have mentioned, but I wonder why I have never seen or
heard of such behaviors on these programs.

Wolves are a highly political commodity.  The first wolf that was shot
eating a calf here in Lemhi county was posted--as was the calf--by Dr.
Robert Cope, a long-time colleague and acquaintence of mine.  He had the
good sense to bring along a videographer from Farm Bureau and a still
photographer to document the entire post.  The wolf was shot cleanly
virtually right on top of the calf and had parts of the calf in its
stomach.  The calf had inflated lungs, colostrum in its stomach, and
manure in between its toes--in other words, it had breathed, had nursed,
and had walked around after being born.  I have personally seen the still
photos, have personally talked to Dr. Cope on multiple occasions about it,
and have family members who have viewed the video footage.  There is NO
question whatsoever as to the results of the post.

BUT--the "official" federal lab report was that the calf was stillborn and
that it was questionable whether the wolf had eaten him or not.

To top it off, the federal fish and wildlife people came in here like a
SWAT team with guns drawn to try to serve a warrant on the 76-year-old man
who had allegedly shot the thing--without ANY prior notification to the
local sheriff.  (Which, FWIW, is illegal for them to do--and the local
sheriff rightfully requested they withdraw, quoting the laws chapter and
verse, and prevailed.)  (The old man held them off by throwing rocks at
them from his porch while calling 911 to reach the sheriff...  They RILLY
needed all that heavy artillery...)

The stuff that appears on TV and documentaries about wolves is such a
fairytale that it ought to be an animated cartoon.  The Canadians told us
what the wolves were like, and laughed their heads off that our federal
powers-that-be wanted to take some of them off their hands.  ("Here, you
stupid Americans--take all you want!  Want some more??  Come on back!!")
But you have to search to find THAT material...

Those of us who have to live with this appalling situation thrust upon us
by our own government are hopping mad.

Heidi

Prudence and focus will carry you a long way on a horse.
~  Frank Solano