Re: [RC] Hide the Horse Food - Ed & Wendy Hauser

The common CTR practice in UMECRA is to bring the horse in and let it eat and drink.  About 1 minute before the scheduled 10 minute pulse check, remove the food, raise the head and get the horse inline in the order he/she came in.  The reasoning goes with may experience, if a horse is actively chewing he/she will have an elevated pulse, but as soon as the chewing stops the pulse goes down to where it is supposed to be.  If you deny eats until pulse some horses get really pissed.  Pissed horses have elevated p/r.

When doing endurance I let my horse eat/drink while I cool him.  When his pulse on the monitor reaches criteria, it is time to move to the vet gate.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875