Re: [RC] Hide the Horse Food - Truman Prevatt

This is really where you have to know your horse. I was doing P&R last year at a ride and they brought a rider brought a horse over. This rider has been doing competitive distance riding since Moses was a teenager so I expected they would not bring a horse in up. It was 72 and the rider had a blank stare. This was a new horse. They took it back out - brought it back and it was up. It took a while at each check to get it down. At the second check the second time in the rider told someone to give her some hay. As soon as this horse started eatting, his pulse dropped from 72 to 48 in a few seconds. The next check they brought it through with feed bucket in hand and he zipped right through. This horse just got pissed off that other horses in camp had food and he didn't.

My old mare would drop when she started to eat. Some horses will go up but she just relaxed when she got food and dropped like a rock. With the Jbird it doesn't matter either way. It takes the same time independent on him munching or not munching.

Every horse seems to be different on this.

Truman

Steven Proe wrote:
Hi: A critter can become excited see the ready food and thus raise its P&R's
or even worse it may eat prior to being vetted and this may cause the P&R's
to rise as a part of the digestive process and seeing, smelling their
favorite treats. If the critter eats it may not be possible to lower the
P&R's in a timely manner.

1. Loosen or remove tack. 2.Drink water at any time. 3. Let wiz or poop at
any time. 4. after vetting and receiving a good or OK from ride management
or vet. 5. Eat all the food that there is available or in reach "aka Smokey
Killen".

HTH
Steven

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.