Re: [RC] Cruppers & breast collar - Ed & Wendy Hauser

Breast collars:  The "Y" shaped ones work much better than western ones.  They do not prevent horses from lowering heads as much, and by riding with the slope  of the shoulder prevent rubbing.

We have used both neoprene covered, and biothane.  Both have worked fine on our horses.  We now prefer the biothane.  They are a bit cheaper, and easy clean.  We have sets in different colors so each horse has his/her own color.  Makes tacking up easier.

Crupper: I have both neoprene and traditional leather stuffed with whatever.  We have not had problems with either.  We have not used the vinyl tube ones.  The leather does need to be cleaned and oiled at intervals.

Training: We have never had a problem with training, and only one horse really react.  We go to a safe area (round pen or whatever), put a lounge line on the halter.  Saddle up.  Put on and adjust the breast collar.  Put on the crupper.  The horse probably will clamp his/her tail.  Lounge for a bit.  Then standing beside, jerk on the crupper.  If reacts, lounge a bit more.  Eventually, when the horse will stand with no reaction, half mount and jerk.  When this is old, mount and jerk.  Ride and jerk.

Break this into as many lessons as the horse seems to need.  By the time you can ride around in a ring or corral and jerk on crupper the horse is trail ready.  This process has taken us from one to 5 lessons depending on the horse.  Using this method, we never have had a reaction on the trail when the crupper tightens.

When you first start using a crupper and breast collar, you will be amazed that you can now see the different places you put a saddle on a horse, by how the crupper is looser or tighter than the last time.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875