Re: [RC] Spooking: Nature or Nurture? - Magnumsmom

Hi Susan,

This time of year the green grass really does set them off.
Also, check what you are feeding him.  Cut down on any
excess alfalfa, molasses and grains.  Horses can react
differently to different things.

Examples:
Even at 23, the 'old TB is not allowed to have Equine Senior
(he doesn't need it... is looking like he's not a day over 16).
He gets really REALLY spooky on Eq Senior.  Thus, to me,
*any* Purina food is suspicious for him if he's acting more
than goofy.

He's not allowed to have stablized rice bran.  He gets really
spooky and goofy on stablized rice bran.  Go figure!   Green
grass in the spring and too much alfalfa also increase his
reactions to things.

He is allowed to have plain grains and dynamite complete
feed.  These don't increase his spooks at all.  He is not the
only TB who had this reaction to Eq. Senior.  A friend has a
mare who calmed way down and quit breaking so many
halters whe she took her off.  The mare was 10 at the time
and she really didn't need the Eq. Senior.

Blue, my Arabian, gets a lot more grains and supplements
than the old TB.  But then he's not that reactive spooky
horse either.  What I find with him is I need to feed him up
to his energy level or he's not really interested in doing the
long miles or a nice fun training ride.  Instead, he does get
higher energy feeds because he does better on them. And,
he doesn't tend to dump me (that is, when I'm paying
attention).

I'd try cutting back to grass hay and then start to add stuff
back in to see if you can figure out if he calms down with
a different diet.  Good luck and let us know what works for
your horse.

Kathy