Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 10:40 PM
Subject: [RC] keeping one's seat

I started my daughter bareback on her pony when she was three. For months she rode in the round pen with a halter/leadrope and bareback. she fell off a few times, but kept getting back on and was doing great. then, one of my friends though she needed a saddle and talked me into buying one. that was a mistake. Now, three years later, I have a hard time getting her to ride bareback. I try to make her once a week, but then she wants me to do it too, which I won't do.  She looks terrible. She won't keep a long leg in the trot and she's never tried to canter bareback. I hate the way she flops her hands and that's when i make her ride without a saddle, it keeps her honest.