Re: [RC] [RC] Keeping one's seat (posting height) - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Actually, I've observed just the opposite--too many have so
LITTLE true impulsion and so much flailing motion in front
that they travel like crippled windmills and literally THROW
the rider out of the saddle at the trot.  A horse with good
impulsion that tracks up properly is much easier to ride.

I knew Heidi would jump in here faster than I could. :)

Heidi's observations are the same as mine when it comes to the
Arabian show ring and English "Pleasure" classes.  Many of the
horses have been forced into such an unnatural way of going
that their front legs are all over the place and their
hindquarters are dragging along behind them.  That certainly
can't be a smooth ride... On the other hand, a properly trained
horse that is driving from the hind should be relatively easy
to sit the trot -- just look at the size of the trots that
dressage riders sit in the upper levels.  Note I say "relatively"
since it still takes quite a bit of skill and strength (such as
good abdominal strength) to sit a big trot.

In addition, many of the saddle seat trainers are really
rather poor riders when one gets right down to it--they are
just good at shoving a horse into an artificial frame and
holding it in that position going around the ring.

Boy, "rather poor" is generous for some of what I've seen.

I cringe when I watch Arab shows...

Ditto.  :(

~Nicole

...but then, I do ride my horses a lot more than most people
~  Karen Chaton