Re: [RC] [RC] How should a horse back? - k s swigart

From: "Laurie Durgin" <ladurgin@xxxxxxx>
Of course he resists the bit, his name is Rascal!!!!

If he resists the bit, he cannot "properly" be taught to back.  So to
properly teach him to back, you don't need to bribe him with carrots,
you need to teach him not to resit the bit and THEN teach him to back.

To provide you with an idea of how advanced of a movement the rein back
is, it is not asked for in a dressage test until second level....at the
same time as collection.

If you are asking, "how can I teach him to back properly, in balance, on
cue without first teaching him to accept my hand (since some people
don't use bits...and they aren't required)?"

The only answer I can give is, "I can't help you."

  Then I remembered , of course he can back, when we first started
trailriding, if he got scared and stopped and someone tried to force
him,
he'd get light and back quite well.

Actually, this is probably an example of one of those "incorrect forms
of the rein back" that Noel Jackson mentioned, "Running back against the
aids, out of control."

And, as I said, this can be hell to fix, as he is not resisting the bit
but just behind it, and behind the bit is very difficult to fix because
you can't push on the reins.  One of the things you risk by trying to
teach a horse that resists the bit to back (before teaching him not to
resist), is putting the horse behind the bit permanently.

Some people like their horses behind the bit, personally, I hate it. :)

kat
Orange County, Calif.

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton