From: "Jonni Jewell" <jonnij@xxxxxxxx>
To: "terry banister" <terrybanister@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   [RC] re: Alice- how to keep your seat
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:45:47 -0500

Oh, so sorry.....let me try again. The original Aussie saddles, that most
people refer to as "Aussie saddles" have very large flaps, that come very
far down on most horses (especially smaller Arabians) have a tendency to
cover way to much surface area of the animal, and thus, can hold in
excessive heat. And, because of that large amount of thick leather, they are
known to be very heavy. There are now models that some of the companies are
making that are designed with endurance in mind, even some with western
fenders instead of the large flaps. But, I would venture a guess that in
reality, you will not see a huge number of them at rides, especially with
high mileage riders, as they have found the issues I noted. Weight, fit, and
too much leather covering the horse.. (Oh, don't see many western saddles in
high mileage horses and riders either) BTW, no saddle brand is perfect on
all horses, without some soring in individual cases. Even "treeless or
flexible" tree saddles can, and HAVE made horses sore. (we won't talk about
the damage to horses my Orthoflex has done) I just happen to have seen that
many who try Aussie saddles, end up with a saddle that does not fit well for
the mileage this sport demands.
Jonni

>>> Clarification: The Polleys on an Aussie saddle are the "ears" that stick
up from the pommel on top of the saddle to catch the rider, and they don't
"cover" any part of the horse. Also, there are trail models and there are
endurance models. Just as an expensive Western saddle is too heavy for
endurance, so are the Aussie models that were not designed for that use.
Everyone has seen MANY sore-backed horses from rigid-tree saddles of every
make, including Endurance brands.<<<<<

============================================================ It is how we "feel" deep inside that matters, cause each of us knows the truth, regardless of how we try make it complicated. It just isn't. ~ Frank Solano