RE: [RC] [RC] Learning from Riding Accidents - Chris Paus

Well, doing LD is no way to protect yourself from
accidents! You can just as easily come off your horse
in 25 miles as in 50!! Both groups generally ride the
same trails, the 50s just  do it twice... so don't
hold back on doing 50s for that reason!

I've had a couple of wrecks on AERC rides, but most of
my wrecks have been at home or on training rides. I'd
venture to say that most people here  would have the
same set of statistics to share!

As everyone else said, think of safety with your tack
and equipment, be smart, know your horse and how he'll
react in different situations.

One reason I do not start with the pack and always
give the hotshoes a head start is because I almost got
in a bad wreck at the start of a ride with all the
horses going at once.. My horse and another started
really egging each other on, then hooves started
flying... I got out of it with just a blow to my foot
from the other horse, but it could have been  much
worse... and this was on a 25!

A couple of times I've parted company with my horse
because he saw a monster I didn't see and   the next
thing I knew I was airborne...He   zigged, I zagged,
and that was it...don't know what could be done to
prevent something such as that other than ride a
different horse, LOL..

chris and the Starman who zigs and zags...